Cappuccino Crispie Bars

Tuesday 11 July 2017

 
I wish I had a pound/dollar for every time I have made Crispie Bars through the years.  I would be able to retire to a tropical island, I have made that many!  I am sure that I made them at least once a week, ir not more often,  the whole time my family was growing up! They were a favourite of my ex husband and my children! They never lasted very long!  They used to inhale them.

 
I never made unsual flavours or added anything to them.  I just made the basic crispie bar.  Marshmallows, butter, vanilla and the cereal.  Easy peasy.


The kids loved to clean the pot out afterwards.  They would all gather around it with spoons and fingers and lick/scrape that pot clean!


This is my youngest four in action.  I am not sure where
big brother was!


I was quite intrigued when I saw this recipe for Cappuccino Crispies in one of my Cooking Light Cookbooks.  (I think it was The Lazy Gourmet!)


This is a crispie bar for adults, with adult flavours  . . .  coffee . . . milky marshmallows . . .  and not a scrap of fat in sight!

 
Which also makes it quite adult friendly.  Most of us are watching our waistlines.  (Unless you are very lucky.)  Some of us are also watching our sugar intake, so I have to say upfront, this isn't for those people.  Lots of sugar in the marshmallows, I'm afraid.  So if you have to watch your sugar (like I do) these are not for you.


But if you are one of the lucky ones who doesn't need to watch their sugar intake, then you are sure to enjoy these quick and easy bars!  The dusting of cocoa powder is my addition.  Most times coffee shops dust cocoa powder over their cappuccino drinks! It added another grown up touch to these!



*Cappuccino Crispie Squares*
Makes 24 bars

A no fat crispie square for adults.  Simple and quick to make and quite tasty. From Cooking Light. 

1 TBS instant coffee granules
(I used a vanilla infused coffee)
1 TBS boiling water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 package of marshmallows (10 ounces or 285g)
(If large cut into quarters with a sharp pair of scissors)
106g of crisp rice cereal (5 cups)
vegetable cooking spray
unsweetened cocoa powder to dust 


Spray a 9 by 15 inch tin with some cooking spray.  Set aside.  Mix together the coffee granules vanilla and boiling water.  Set aside. Place the marshmallows into a large glass bowl and cook on high in the microwave for 1 1/2 to 2  minutes, until melted.  Stir until smooth.  Stir in the coffee mixture to combine well.  Working quickly, stir in the rice cereal to combine thoroughly and then press into the prepared baking dish with fingers you have sprayed with some low fat cooking spray. (This helps to keep the mixture from sticking to your fingers.)  Press in firmly and evenly.  Let stand for at least an hour before dusting with cocoa powder and cutting into squares to serve.  Store any leftovers in an airtight container.

Yep, these are definitely for the grown-ups.  Bon Appetit!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!