Ginger Crumb Cake with Butter Sauce

Sunday 7 January 2018


On the weekends, new year or not, I crave something homemade and comforting . . .  and in the Winter this means something which reminds me of home. 
 
There is nothing like an old fashioned bake to chase away the Winter apres-holiday blues!


I especially love bakes such as gingerbreads . . .  they smell delicious when they are baking.
 
Infusing your home with the delightful smells of ginger (natch), cinnamon, allspice, cardamom  . . .


I don't know about you, but these warm baking spices make me think of hugs and my mama's lap . . .



They also make me think of my Gran because this delicious crumb cake is very like something which she would have baked.


A simple crumb mixture which forms not only the basis for a deliciously spiced and moist cake, but also a fabulous buttery crumb topping  . . .  but that is not all . . .


It is accompanied by a lovely sweet, buttery creamy sauce that you spoon warm, over top of the cake  . . . this is oh so tasty.


If you only bake one thing this weekend, let it be this . . . you will not regret it, I promise you.


*Ginger Crumb Cake with Butter Sauce*
Serves 9
 
 
Deliciously old fashioned and very comforting on a cold winter's day. 

95g sugar (1/2 cup)
65g butter, softened (1/4 cup)
140g plain flour (1 cup)
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
pinch salt
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
120ml buttermilk (1/2 cup)
60ml mild molasses (1/4 cup)
1 large free range egg, lightly beaten
For the butter sauce:
95g sugar (1/2 cup)
dash ground ginger
65g butter (1/4 cup)
60ml heavy cream (1/4 cup, whipping cream)



Preheat the oven to 190*C/365*F/ gas mark 5.  Butter an 8 inch square baking tin and line with paper.  Set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl, until well combined. Sift the flour into the bowl, along with the ginger, cinnamon, allspice, cardamom and salt.  Mix together with a wooden spoon until the mixture is well blended and crumbly. Remove 54g (1/3 cup) and set aside.  Whisk together the buttermilk, molasses and beaten egg.  Stir the bicarbonate of soda into the main bowl of crumbs. Add the wet mixture to this and blend well.  Pour into the prepared tin and then sprinkle the reserves 54g (1/3 cup) of crumbs evenly over top.

Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean and the top springs back when lightly touched.

In a small saucepan, combine all of the sauce ingredietns.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce to a simmer, and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally for 4 minutes.

Serve the cake cut into squares with some of the warm sauce spooned over top.  Store any remaining sauce in the refrigerator.

You will want to break out the teapot with this one.  A  nice hot cuppa is the perfect go with.  Enjoy this as a part of your morning weekend brunch, or as Elevenses with your tea, or as a delicious pudding for after dinner.  Whenever you choose to enjoy this, you are sure to fall in love.  Destined to become a family favourite!  Bon Appetit!  

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again! 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin





8 comments

  1. Looks quite perfect madam! Thanks for everything you SHARE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! I love sharing as you know! I really appreciate your faithfulness in commenting! Often you are the only one! Xo

      Delete
  2. All my favorite flavors in one cake and I even have the ingredients. I'm going to run out of printer paper thanks to you! And thanks for popping over to Marmelade Gypsy --I so appreciate your comments and visits! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you like the looks of this cake Jeanie! I think you are sure to love it! Love visiting your page also! You're very welcome! xo

      Delete
  3. This is cooling on my kitchen bench as I type and the house smells wonderful. These are among my favourite spices, especially at this time of the year. I had to do a bit of substitution as you can't get buttermilk or molasses here, but the cake came together easily. I've never put a crumb topping on a cake before (only streusel topping on yeast based cakes), so that was something new to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, doesn't it smell gorgeous Marie! This is a real favourite of Todd's. The sauce really makes it! I hope it tasted as wonderful to you as it smelled! xo

      Delete
    2. What did you use instead of buttermilk, I never have this?

      Delete
    3. You can easily make a good buttermilk substitute in two different ways, depending on what you have to hand. 1. Add a tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to your cup measure and then add milk to the amount needed. Stir and then leave to clabber for 5 to 10 minutes and use as per the recipe. 2. Whisk together equal amounts of plain full fat yogurt and whole milk, and set aside to clabber. In this case you would need 1/4 cup (60ml) of each. I hope this helps!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!