Roast Pork with Carrots, Turnips & Apples

Monday 13 November 2017


I love the autumn when the temperatures start to really cool down and the idea of turning on the oven to cook a meal like this is really something to be looked forward to instead of dreaded!  On days like these you really don't mind heating up the kitchen!


This is a recipe you will want to keep in mind for next Sunday afternoon, it is the perfect meal to share with your family after church. It basically cooks itself, so you can pop it into the oven and then go for a lovely brisk walk with the family.


Carrots, turnips (the white variety) and apples get tossed together with some oil and herbs and poured into a roasting tin. (I like to line it with foil.)


A pork loin roast (skin removed, and I like to score the fat) gets place on top of the fruit/veg mix  . . .


A bit of cider vinegar gets poured over top of the roast, and a sprinkle of more herbs and some seasoning and then it gets popped into the oven to roast for about an hour and a half. 


The vegetables get all glazed and succulent with some of the juices from the pork . . .  golden edged and sweet . . .


The pork is tender and juicy . . .  perfectly cooked.  All you need on the side is some mash.  I do my mash ahead of time and pop it into a casserole to heat up in the microwave.  This time I did a spring onion mash which was perfect!


*Roast Pork with Carrots, Turnips & Apples*
Serves 5 to 6
 
This makes the perfect Sunday lunch.  Just serve with some potatoes and dinner is served.  Simple, and all in one dish. 

4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 pound white turnips, peled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
2 medium Granny Smith type of apples, peeled, cored and cut into wedges
2 TBS light olive oil
1 1/2 TBS dried parsley flakes, divided
1 1/2 TBS dried sage flakes, divided
1 (2 pound/ 1/2 kg) boneless, skinless pork roast
80ml cider vinegar (1/3 cup)
salt and black pepper to taste





Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  Have ready a large roasting tin. 


Prepare all of your vegetables and the apples, and put them into a bowl.  Toss them together with the olive oil, 1 TBS each of the parsley and sage, and a dash of salt and pepper.  Pour them into the roasting tin and spread them out.  Place the pork roast on top. (I like to score the fat first).  Pour the cider vinegar over top of the pork and sprinkle with the remaining parsley and sage. Season with some salt and black pepper. 


Roast in the preheated oven for approximately 1 1/4 hours until the meat it thoroughly cooked through and the vegetables are tender.  Remove from the oven and cover the meat loosely with aluminium foil and allow to rest for 15 minutes prior to carving. 



Todd always likes his with a bit of gravy.  There are no pan drippings to make any with this recipe, so I just use some Bisto . . .  you can't beat a bit of bisto with the Sunday lunch  . . .  Bon Appetit! 



6 comments

  1. Replies
    1. They are excellent Monique! xo (Mind you, I am more than a bit biased! )

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious! We are having our cousins from out of town for dinner next week. I'd been thinking pork and I think this will fill the bill. I hate fussing in the kitchen when I have people over for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Maureen! I am the same. No fuss no muss works for me every time. I hope you enjoy this! Let me know how you get on! xo

      Delete
  3. Delicious combination of flavors. At 1-1/4 hrs, the meat was perfect, but my turnips and carrots were still a little firm. Next time, I may start the veg's early and add the pork in time to get that perfect 140 F internal temp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That sounds like a great plan! Sometimes root vegetables can be very hard and take a lot longer to cook. I think it has something to do with their age, but I could be wrong! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!