Fajita Chicken Bake

Monday 6 November 2017


I have a confession.  I can be rather lazy when it comes to every day ordinary cooking.  I love good food, but I usually try to get to good food in the easiest way possible and with the least amount of faffin about.  Chicken Fajita Bake is one of those dishes.


Its as simple as laying a few chicken breasts in a baking dish.  I like free range, corn fed, but you can use whatever kind of chicken breasts your little heart wants to use  . . .


I top them with a mix of  crispy breadcrumbs (I use panko) and taco seasoning.  You can make your own, or use a store brand. (I have a recipe in my side bar to make your own.)



I dribble it with some salsa.  (I always have salsa in my store cupboard)  Slice a few peppers and onion and scatter them over top.


A dribble of olive oil and some salt and pepper, and they go into the oven, tightly covered with foil . . . 



They bake for a little while, and then you slather the top with grated cheese  . . .  you can use a good cheddar, or a pepper jack.  It all depends on how hot and spicy you like things!


Back in the oven for a little bit longer, just to melt the cheese and let it get all scrummy,  and "Bob's your Uncle!"  Dinner's ready.  


*Fajita Chicken Bake*
Serves 4
 

Simple, quick to make, and a fairly delicious way to get in some of your five a day.  I like to serve it with rice. Its a bit spicy so adjust accordingly. 

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 TBS crispy bread crumbs
4 tsp taco seasoning
salt and black pepper to taste
4 TBS salsa
1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
2 bell peppers, trimmed, deseeded and thinly sliced
Olive oil to drizzle
180g of grated cheddar cheese or a mexican blend cheese (1 1/2 cups)

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  


Lay the chicken breasts out in a baking dish.  Mix together the crispy bread crumbs (I use panko) and taco seasoning and sprinkle it over the chicken evenly.  Dot with the salsa.  Mix together the onion and peppers and sprinkle these on top of the salsa dotted chicken Season with some salt and black pepper.  Drizzle with a bit of oil and cover with a sheet of foil. 


Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, uncover and sprinkle the cheese over top.  Return to the oven and bake for a further 10 to 15 minutes.  The chicken juices should run clear and the cheese be bubbling, but not coloured overly much.  Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  


Lay the chicken breasts out in a baking dish.  Mix together the crispy bread crumbs (I use panko) and taco seasoning and sprinkle it over the chicken evenly.  Dot with the salsa.  Mix together the onion and peppers and sprinkle these on top of the salsa dotted chicken Season with some salt and black pepper.  Drizzle with a bit of oil and cover with a sheet of foil. 


Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, uncover and sprinkle the cheese over top.  Return to the oven and bake for a further 10 to 15 minutes.  The chicken juices should run clear and the cheese be bubbling, but not coloured overly much.  Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
 


I throw a pouch of microwave rice or two into the microwave and everything is tickety boo.  You have your protein, and your veg and your starch.  Done!  In fact if you wanted to you could just cut the chicken up and serve it in warm tortillas with the peppers and cheese for a really casual meal.  Either way you are sure to enjoy this!  Provecho!!



4 comments

  1. Replies
    1. It is really good and not that unhealthy if you use low fat cheese Monique! xo

      Delete
  2. This is such a great idea, yum! Definitely trying this one out, the melted cheese is luring me in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Kelly! I hope that you will try it! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!