Cream of Broccoli Soup with Cheddar Cheese

Tuesday 14 November 2017


Broccoli wasn't a vegetable I ever remember eating when I was growing up.  I don't think it was available anywhere that we lived, or if it was, it wasn't something my mother ever bought.  My father always said he hated broccoli, and he still does, so that could very well be the reason we never had it.


I believe the first time I had broccoli was at a Chinese restaurant, and it was love at first bite.  I can say with impunity that it is one of my favourite vegetables.


When I visited Utah several years ago I had occasion to eat in the lovely Roof Restaurant on top of the Joseph SmithMemorial Building in downtown Salt Lake.  I had Deep Fried Pickles and I remember having something, probably a sandwich which came with Sweet Potato Fries. Both were very good and I am sure the sandwich was also, but for the life of me I cannot rememer what it was.


It was such a wonderful experience and the food so good that Todd bought me the cookbook, Recipes from The Roof, the 100th Anniversary of The Hotel Utah ad Joseph Smith Memorial Building for Christmas.  I am ashamed to say that although I have drooled over many of the pages, today was the first time I have cooked one of the recipes.


I found myself with an abundance of fresh broccoli and I spent some time this morning going through a lot of my books, looking for something to use it in.  This recipe caught my eye and I was reminded of the lovely visit I had there with my friend Lura and so, I decided to make this soup.


This recipe is adapted from the one in the book.  Its very rich.  The original uses heavy cream, but I chose to use single cream.  I just could not bring myself to eat that much double/heavy cream.  My arteries started to clog just thinking about it!


I also used low fat cheddar with no problem, and semi skimmed milk.  It still tasted rich and delicious.  I dare say you could even use low fat evaporated milk instead of the cream with no  problem which would take the fat content down even further!


In any case this was rich and creamy, simple and quick to make, filled with fibre, and most delicious.  I highly recommend!  (I also cut the recipe in half very successfully so if you are a smaller family you can bear that in mind.)


*Cream of Broccoli Soup with Cheddar Cheese*
Serves 6
 
This is rich and delicious.  It would make a perfect first course for the holidays!  It is quite indulgent, but that's what holidays are for! 

4 TBS unsalted butter
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
1 stalk of celery, trimmed and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
2 large broccoli crowns, broken into florets and steamed
just until crispy tender, about 4 minutes
(rinse in cold water to halt the cooking after steaming!)
45g plain flour (1/4 cup)
960ml of single cream (4 cups, whipping cream)
240ml chicken stock (1 cup)
180g of grated cheddar cheese, divided (1 1/2 cups)
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
fine sea salt and coarse black pepper to taste
broccoli florets, to garnish 



Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add the onion, celery, garlic and broccoli.  Cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until the vegetables are very soft.  Sprinkle the flour over top and stir to make a roux, cooking it for about a minute. Pour in the cream and the chicken stock.  Stir well to combine.  Cook, until the soup thickens.  Stir in 120g of the cheese (1 cup), stirring to melt the cheese.  Season with the Worcestershire sauce and salt and black pepper to taste. 


Ladle into heated bowls.   Top each with a sprinkle of the remaining cheese (1/2 cup) and a warm broccoli floret. (You can warm them briefly in the microwave for a few seconds.  Nobody wants a cold piece of broccoli on their soup.)  Serve immediately!



This is rich and creamy and more than just a bit decadent!  Todd thoroughly enjoyed it and broccoli isn't his favourite vegetable either!  It would an excellent first course for your celebratory meal in the holidays, or even for a dinner party!  Quick, easy and delicious!  Bon Appetit! 



5 comments

  1. It's so popular I think Costco even has their version marie:) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen it at the Costco here. I will have to check next time I am there to see if I can find it. I was just to Costco this morning! I bought some flank steak because I want to make some Slow Cooker Tacos that I saw that looked really good! It is the only place I have seen flank steak! xo

      Delete
  2. This recipe sounds just lovely, Marie. I haven't made very many cream soups, and we both love broccoli, so I'm going to give it a shot. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thakns Jane! I really hope that you like it. We found it to be quite, QUITE delicious! xo

      Delete
  3. Wow this is soooo gorgeous. I love broccoli soup but have never made one myself. I think I definitely need to make this asap.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!