Dilled Carrots

Thursday 5 October 2017


I really love carrots.  I think they are one of my favourite vegetables.  I know  . . . I say that about everything.  I guess I am just a foodie through and through. I really do like carrots however. Did you know that carrots with blunt rounded ends tend to be sweeter than pointed ones?  An old lady at a farmers market in Alliston, Ontario told me this once, many moons ago.  I don't know if it is true or not, but I've been buying blunt ended carrots ever since, and I could swear that they really are sweeter. Like as not, it has something to do with the variety of carrot more than anything else.


This recipe today is a particularly delicious way of preparing this lovely vegetable.  You do have to julienne them however, but that is really not such  difficult thing to do. To julienne carrots you cut them into 3 inch lengths, trim one side off so that the carrot lies flat, and then cut them into thin slices lengthwise. You then stack the slices and cut the slices into match sticks.


You can buy  julienner, but I find they make too thin a strips.  I prefer to do it by hand.  When I was in Culinary school I was told I had great knife skills.  I dunno about that.  I have never minded this type of thing however.  It is a type of mindless activity that has never bothered me. You could also use a mandoline cutter. The longest part of this recipe is the cutting of the carrots.   Once you have that done, the rest of it goes together rather quickly. 


The juilenned carrots are cooked first in some butter for a few minutes. You then add some chicken stock, honey and dill, cover and cook them for a few minutes longer, until they are lightly glazed and crispy tender.


Dillweed and carrots have a special affinity to one another.  They are beautiful taste partners  . . .


Its just a tiny touch of honey, but it really enhances the natural sweetness of of this beautiful vegetable.  If you are not fond of the flavour of dillweed, then you could use some freshly grated nutmeg instead.  Nutmeg also goes very well with carrots.


 Altogether, this is a simple recipe with elegant results.  I think you are going to love these.  For a special occasion, a holiday meal, or even for those occasions when you just want to serve a vegetable that is a tiny bit more than ordinary.


*Dilled Carrots*
Serves 4

One of our favourite ways to enjoy carrots. These make a great side dish for the holidays. Recipe can be easily doubled.

1 1/2 TBS butter
1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into juilienne strips
1 tsp chopped fresh dilweed, or 1/2 tsp dried
30ml chicken stock (2 TBS)
1/2 tsp honey


Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the carrots, stirring well to coat.  Saute, stirring often, for about 3 minutes.  Add the dill, stock and honey.  Cover and cook over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes until the carrots are nice and tender.  Remove with a slotted spoon and arrange in a serving dish.  Delicious!


I know Thanksgiving is coming up this next weekend in Canada.  These would make a brilliant addition to the Thanksgiving table!  Bon appetit!


2 comments

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!