Peach & Blueberry Crumble

Sunday 23 July 2017




This is  a delicious dessert to make when the blueberry bushes are just dripping with fruit. We are not quite there yet in our garden, but it won't be long now, so in the meantime I make do with what I can find in the shops.  They mostly come from Poland at this time of year, but in a few weeks time our own bushes will be filled with lovely berries.


When I first moved to England 17 years ago  I thought that I was never ever going to be able to have fresh blueberry anything ever again . . .You never know how much you will miss something until you don't think you can have it. Thankfully now blueberries have become quite common over here. To my way of  thinking . . . you can NEVER have too many blueberries.


They are considered to be one of the superfoods, being high in anti-oxidents and vitamins A & C, and fibre too. When you put them together with fresh peaches in a delicious low fat dessert like this one, well . . . you have a real winning combination!


Yes, I DID say low fat, and I really meant it. Low fat, with only 5g of fat per serving and high in fibre, this is a dessert that might be considered kind of good for you . . . that is until you pour the custard or cream over top . . . but . . .

We just won't talk about that.


This is an oldie but a goodie taken from the book Smart Cooking, quick and tasty recipes for healthy living by Anne Lindsay, one of Canada's favourite food writers. I've had this kicking around for eons . . .well at least 30 years anyways. (I know, I find it hard to believe I'm that old too!!) I topped mine with plain yoghurt and it was every bit as delicious as it would have been with cream, custard or even ice cream. Truth.


*Blueberry and Peach Crumble*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe


Not only is this delicious, but it is also very low in fat.  Serve it warm with custard or ice cream!


600g of peeled and sliced fresh peaches (6 cups)
200g   fresh blueberries (2 cups)
66g (1/3 cup packed) soft light brown sugar
2 TBS plain flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon

 Topping:
85g of quick cooking oats (1 cup)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
50g (1/4 cup packed) soft light brown sugar
3 TBS butter, softened


Preheat the oven to 180*C/ 350*F/ gas mark 4.


Place the fruit into an 8 cup casserole dish.  Combine the peaches, and blueberries in the dish.  Mix the flour, sugar, and cinnamon together in a bowl.  Add to the fruit, tossing lightly to mix.


Measure the topping ingredients in a bowl and cut in the butter with two knives or a pastry blender, until crumbly.  Sprinkle over top of the fruit mixture.  Bake for 25 minutes until the mixture is bubbling and the fruit is barely tender.  Serve warm or cold.


Note:  This can also be cooked in the microwave on high for 10 minutes, which makes for a really quick dessert.  (Even if I cook it in the microwave, I like to pop it in the oven for a few minutes to crisp up the topping.  Just my preference.)

  
You can also use tinned peaches in this.  I have done so in the past with good results.   I hope you'll give it ago and I think if you do you will agree with me, healthy and low fat never tasted so good!  Bon Appetit!


2 comments

  1. Big AL an here..for a while I used only her books..I have some keeprs..should take the books off the shelf and peruse..thank you for this one..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a Canadian Icon Monique! I love her recipes! Xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!