Savoury Garlic Chicken

Wednesday 14 December 2016


We are a small family, Todd and I.  Just the two of us and our Mitzie Doodle doggie who isn't supposed to eat human food.  After having cooked for a huge family for many years, I now find myself facing the challenge of cooking for just the two of us.  Don't get me wrong, I don't mind leftovers and I am an expert at using them up and making them interesting, but dishes built for two are also a good way to go in my kitchen. 


Cooking for two doesn't have to be bland or boring either.  Dishes like this fabulous Savoury Garlic Chicken prove that cooking for two can be just as exciting and interesting as cooking for more!


With its delicious white wine and garlic sauce, this recipe takes the humble chicken breast to a special level of tastiness.  Oh, I do so love cooking with chicken breasts. They are so versatile and take on other flavours beautifully.


The sour cream in the sauce adds a depth of richness to the dish.  Don't be afraid of the amount of garlic.  It really mellows out in the cooking and adds a level of savoury sweetness to the dish that is really, really good.

Of course the onions do the same thing.  All of the elements all together work to make for a dish that is simple and easy to make, but also special enough to want to serve for a special occasion.  I serve it with brown rice and vegetables.  I also sometimes use turkey fillets, which I cut in half lengthwise to mimic the size and shape of a chicken breast.  Either way it's a winner/winner chicken/turkey dinner!


 
 
*Savoury Garlic Chicken*
Serves 2 
 

 
A cosy meal just for two.  This is simple and delicious. 

4 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced thinly
2 TBS butter
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 tsp salt
12 tsp black pepper
1 onion, peeled and sliced
2 whole cloves
1 bay leaf, broken in half
225ml white wine or chicken stock
60g sour cream (1/2 cup)



Heat a skillet over medium heat.  Add the butter.  Once it begins to foam add the garlic and lightly brown.  Do NOT let it burn. Remove and set aside.  Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and saute on both sides until golden brown.  Remove and set aside, keeping warm.  Add the onion, cloves and bay leaf to the skillet.  Cook, stirring to soften the onion.  Return the chicken nd garlic to th skillet.  Drizzle with the wine or stock.  Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.  Remove the chicken and keep warm while you make the sauce.  Increase the heat to medium, cook and stir the pan juices util reduce to about 120ml/1/2 cup.  Discar the cloves and bay leaf.  Add the sour cream.  Cook just to warm through.  Serve the chicken with the sauce spooned over top.



Quick, easy and delicious always works for me!  Especially on these very busy weeknights in the run up to Christmas!  This recipe also doubles or triples very easily.   Bon Appetit!
 

4 comments

  1. The sour cream is the kicker right? to make it special:)
    I love chicken..wish cooking didn't splatter you?
    I am a fanatic w/ a black ceramic cooktop..neverending polishing..I can't go to bed with a spotty stovetop;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and those splatter screens don't work that well either! The sour cream makes this! Xo

      Delete
  2. What a quick and absolutely delicious meal. I made this twice this week, once with the white wine, the second time with just chicken stock and both times were equally as good. A really lovely dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I a man so pleased you are enjoying this! I love it when that happens!xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!