Crispy Chicken Wings

Tuesday 27 December 2016


I confess to being a huge fan of chicken wings.   Back home at the local Chinese buffet the chicken wings were always my favourite dish on the menu, and I think everyone else's as well because between them and the sweet and sour chicken balls it was always hard to get any because the dish would empty almost as soon as it was filled!




There isn't a lot of meat on a chicken wing, but what there is is delicious.  I prefer the flatter bits to the drumstick like bits myself, but I will eat both quite happily.   They may be mostly skin and bone, but what there is I am totally in love with.


This is probably one of the healthier ways of making chicken wings, with no frying involved.   (That's if chicken wings can every really be healthy, haha)  You simply soak the wings in water, shake the water off, roll them in a seasoned flour and bake in a hot oven.  Nothing could be easier, or tastier!!


I like to use Old Bay Seasoning in my flour.  This is not a seasoning that can be readily had over here in the UK, but I have made up my own mix for it through trial and error.  The recipe can be found in my right hand side bar.  It's pretty close I think.   It makes for some very scrumptious wings at any rate!


I do spritz them with some low fat cooking spray prior to baking which helps them to crisp up very nicely.  I could eat a whole plate full of these and nothing else.  They make a very popular appetizer or finger food for New Years Eve!   This is finger food at its best!


*Crispy Chicken Wings*
Makes 24

Crispy chicken wings with a lovely spicy flavour.  These are finger licking good. 

24 chicken wings, jointed
140g plain flour (1 cup)
1 heaped TBS Old Bay Seasoning (see my side bar to make your own)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper



 
Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Spray a large baking sheet with sides, well with non stick cooking spray. 

Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.   Soak the chicken wings in cold water for several minutes.  Shake off any excess water and drop them into the flour mixture, Toss to coat with the flour.  Lay out on the baking sheet in a single layer.  Spray lightly with some non-stick cooking spray.  Bake in the heated oven for 30 minutes, Remove and flip over and bake for an additional 20 minutes until crispy and done.  Delicious!



 
Some people like to serve these with a dip  or two.  I would suggest setting out two bowls, one of sour cream and the other of sweet chili sauce.  Scrumptious!


It's that cold/hot thing.   Bone  Appetit!  (spelling mistake done on purpose, every pun intended!)


4 comments

  1. Sounds great I ike that idea of the spray..I learned that from that Chicken Milanese recipe..it does crisp up..
    we don't fry at all anymore so this works well:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very crispy and tasty. I don't like too much spice and this was very nice. Tasted even better with chicken and rib BBQ sauce. Will definitely make again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy they were enjoyed Alma! Thanks for taking the time to let us know! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!