Irish Soda Farl

Thursday 17 March 2016



I have to confess I am a real old film buff. I could sit and watch old movies all day long . . . the black and white images don't bother me. I just adore them.

I think it's because they take me back to a simpler time . . .




A time when men were men, and women were women . . . a time of solid values and simple needs. There was no need to keep up with the Jones's . . .



Socks were darned and the washing was hung out on the line.

Perhaps I was born 30 years too late . . .



but then again . . . I do like my modern day luxuries, such as electric mixers, and hoovers, and dish washers . . . oh and big screen telly's and such. Not to mention that, if I had been born 30 years earlier, I'd probably be dead now . . . so . . . perhaps it's better that I was born when I was . . .



In fact, if I had a golden lantern to rub and my own personal Genie to wish upon . . .

nahh . . . I wouldn't change a thing . . .



Ok, so MAYBE I'd wish away a stone or two or three. That would be ok. I also wouldn't mind looking like Maureen O'Hara. A million pounds would also come in handy.

In honor of The Quiet Man, one of my favourite films and St Patrick's Day . . . Irish Soda Farl.



*Soda Farl*
Makes one 9 inch round soda bread
Printable Recipe

A delicious soda bread so named because it is made in a round shape, or "farl." Simple to make and very tasty split and buttered. Try the leftovers split, toasted, buttered and spread with jam for a breakfast treat the morning after baking. (Store any leftovers in an airtight container or bag)

280g plain flour (a generous 2 3/4 cup)
2 TBS caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 284ml carton of buttermilk (approximately 1 1/4 cup)
whole milk (if necessary)
1 TBS oil

Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Butter a heavy 9 inch round baking dish well. Set aside.

Sift the flour into a bowl. Whisk in the sugar, baking powder, soda and salt, wisking all well together. Whisk together the buttermilk and oil. Stir all at once into the dry mixture to form a soft dough, without overmixing. It may be necessary to add a bit of milk as needed. You don't want it to be too dry, or too sticky. Dump into the prepared baking dish and spread out with floured hands to fit.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until risen and golden brown. Remove from the oven and turn out of the pan onto a wire rack to cool a bit before cutting into wedges to serve. Delicious!

Note:  This is a repost from an earlier date.  I am in hospital this morning, so I hope you don't mind.  God willing I will be back tomorrow with something new!

4 comments

  1. You and Jacques:) Can't say old movies are my fave..there are a few though;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have changed your picture! Beautiful lady. I don't like all old films, but I do like quite a few! Xo

      Delete
  2. I agree with you I love old movies,well most all things old! I have often said I was born in the wrong era! Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, all things being well I will be okay! Xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!