World's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

Saturday 17 October 2015

 photo DSCN3639_zpssvtyyvwt.jpg

I confess these cookies are not diabetic friendly, or diet friendly in any way, but I wanted to bake something for the young  missionaries to take to our District meeting the other day, and so I baked them these cookies.  I couldn't believe that I hadn't already shared the recipe on the blog!

 photo DSCN3640_zpshckwqyai.jpg

You might think that is a bold statement calling these the World's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies, and yes it probably is.   I mean . . .  what makes a chocolate chip cookie the best in the world?  I think the answer would be subjective and change according to each person you asked.   So . . .  I guess for ME these are the world's best.   And . . .  um  . . .  for everyone I have ever baked them for, which makes them pretty popular!

 photo DSCN3641_zpsssqs1fy5.jpg

These are the chocolate chip cookies I baked for my childrenand their friends the whole time they were growing up.  These are  the chocolate chip cookies I baked at least twice a week when I was cheff'ing at the Manor.   Why twice a week or more?

 photo DSCN3642_zpstxjdtemf.jpg

Because they were a real favourite of the Mr's and all of the staff.  Nobody could keep their hands off them or out of the cookie jar.  Seriously.  I wish I had a pound in cash for every one of these I've ever baked . . .  I'd be wealthy.  Very wealthy!

 photo DSCN3643_zpse5oso7nr.jpg

These are righ and buttery . . .  with just the right amount of chew.  Crisp on the outside . . .  a tiny bit chewy on the inside . . . especially when freshly baked . . .  and I don't ever skimp on the chocolate chips or the nuts.

 photo DSCN3644_zpstnlytmpf.jpg

In fact, although I have given a measurement for both on the recipe . . .  I basically just throw them in by the handful . . .  and when I think they are stogged full to the hilt . . .  I stop.  Sometimes I add sultanas, but only if I know the people I am making them for like raisins.  Nobody has ever turned one of these down.  In fact, they have a very difficult time stopping at just one.  Seriously.  In fact . . .  the other day I brought home an empty cookie tin.  I love it when that happens!

 photo DSCN3645_zpsr2toldqq.jpg


*World's Best Chocolate Chip Cookie*
Makes about 48


I like to call these the perfect chocolate chip cookie.  Of course it depends on what your definition of perfect is in a cookie.  If you are looking for buttery, crisp and stogged full of chocolate chips and nuts, then you are in the right place. 


2/3 cup of butter (151g)
2/3 cup of vegetable shortening (145g)
1 cup of white sugar (191g)
1 cup of soft light brown sugar, packed (201g)
2 large free range eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour (420g)  (may need more, if you think your dough is too stick, stir in up to half cup (70g) more)
12 ounces milk chocolate chips
6 ounces of semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup toasted and chopped pecan nuts (120g)
(Sometimes I like to add sultanas, 1 cup (151g) will do the trick)
(You would add them along with everything else) 


 photo DSCN36392_zpsn8rkjc1p.jpg

Pre-heat the oven to 190*C/375*F.  Lightly grease several baking sheets.  Set aside.

Cream together the butter, shortening and both sugars until well combined and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time.  Then stir in the vanilla.  Sift the flour together with the baking soda, and salt.  Stir this in, mixing all together well.  Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts.

Shape tablespoons of the dough into balls with your hands and place onto the baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches between each one.  (The dough will be a bit sticky, but just keep washing your hands.)  I like to roll mine into balls because it results in pretty uniform shaped cookies.  You can just drop them onto the cookie sheets by the tablespoonful if you wish.

Bake for 10 to 11 minutes, rotating the cookie sheet half way through the baking time.  They are done when they are set and lightly browned on the bottoms and at the edges.  Remove from the oven.  Leave to cool for several minutes on the baking sheet, and then scoop off and finish cooling on wire racks.  Repeat with remaining dough, allowing the cookie sheets to cool completely in between.

Bet you can't eat just one! 


Psst!  No calorie count today or fat content or anything else.  Truth be told, if you are worried about that sorta thing, you shouldn't be eating any of these.  The end.  The hardest thing I ever did was not to touch one the other day. I was very proud of the fact that I was able to resist.  It helped that I was giving them all away and had none to bring home.  ☺  I would have loved to show you one  . . .  warm from the oven, broken open and chocolate oooozing out . . .  but I didn't dare.  I knew I would not be strong enough to resist digging in had I done so!

11 comments

  1. Marie these cookies look delicious :)
    Have a nice weekend dear :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. If everyone loves them they must be great..I have never used shortening in a cookie recipe..interesting..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With just butter they are too hard Monique. The shortening helps them to be crisp and yet chewy at the same time.

      Delete
  3. Oh, how I love it when this old classic is re-worked and improved upon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! I've played with it for years! xo

      Delete
  4. Do you use salted or unsalted butter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use whatever I have ddquick! xo

      Delete
    2. PS - having said that I need to add that the salted butter I use is always Lurpak and that's only very lightly salted anyways.

      Delete
  5. I just made these. Good looking and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you have enjoyed them Jo! Thank you so much for taking the time to come back and let us know! You made my day! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!