Lemon Puddle Cake

Sunday 17 May 2015




I always have a bowl of lemons sitting on the counter. They look so pretty there and they smell delicious. They also come in very handy . . . for cakes and bakes . . . hot drinks . . . savoury dishes . . . cold drinks . . .





You never know when you are going to need a squeeze of lemon juice,
or a bit of lemon zest . . .
They're just very, very handy to have around. If I could I would have my own lemon tree . . . it must be nice to just walk out the door and pick a few lemons when you need them.



Lemon-juice prevents or restrains influenza, malaria and cold. Squeezing lemons is good therapy . . . you know. They're also fabulous source of vitamin C, helpful when you have the dreaded lurgy, and to top it all off . . . they're tasty too!!

Can you believe that the Toddster is not overly fond of lemon anything? I know . . . there's something wrong with his head . . . oh well . . . that just means more for me. I won't be complaining about that!




*Lemon Puddle Cake*
Serves 4 to 6 (depending on how greedy you are!)
Printable Recipe

Picture a deliciously light, baked lemon batter, with a tingly lemon curd at the bottom. Now smother it with pouring cream, or a dollop of creme fraiche . . .

70g unsalted butter, room temperature(1/3 cup)
185g caster sugar (15 1/2 TBS or a scant cup)
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
3 large free range eggs, separated
4 TBS self raising flour
6 fluid ounces milk
4 TBS fresh lemon juice
icing sugar to dust
thick pouring cream, to serve (or creme fraiche)




Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Lightly butter a 5 cup ovenproof ceramic dish. Set aside.

Using an electric whisk, beat the butter with the sugar and grated lemon zest together until light and creamy. Gradually beat in the egg yolks, beating well after each addition. Fold in the flour and the milk, alternately to make a smooth but runny batter. Stir in the lemon juice.

Clean your beaters really well and then beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. With a large metal spoon, fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites, being careful not to overmix.

Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish. Place in a large roasting tin. Pour enough hot water into the tin to come one third of the way up the sides of the baking dish. Bake in the heated oven for 55 minutes, or until the top of the pudding is golden, risen and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Dust the top with icing sugar and serve spooned out into bowls with lashings of pouring cream or dollops of creme fraiche.

Enjoy!

6 comments

  1. This looks very similar to an old family favourite Lemon Delicious Pudding that I remember my mum making quite often. Yum, yum, yum!

    It's much the same in our house - I love lemon anything. It's so versatile in both sweet and savoury dishes and I always have lemons on the counter. Back home I DID have my own lemon tree and it was wonderful to just nip outside and pick what I needed from our tree. Those were the days...

    The Swede on the other hand does not care much for lemon, having never really eaten it growing up. He doesn't even squeeze lemon on fish, which really flabbergasts me as they are made for each other. I'm gradually enticing him over to my way of thinking, but it's a long battle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is probably very similar Marie! I feel your pain about the Lemon. Todd doesn't like lemon anything either. Or Chocolate. Or pasta. Or pizza. It is a long battle, but I believe persistance pays off in the long run! I am very tenacious if nothing else! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything lemony for me:)
    Thank you for every thing you share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too Monique! Thanks! You're very welcome! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love lemon !! This look delicious!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!