Cheese and Broccoli Stuffed Jacket Potatoes

Thursday 28 August 2014

 photo SAM_6790_zps8a25ce56.jpg

I have to admit that broccoli is not one of the Toddster's favourite vegetables.  I love the stuff, but he's not so keen.   It's one of those vegetables however that is really very good for you and so I am always looking for ways to incorporate it into our diets, that are appealing to him at least in some small way.


 photo SAM_6791_zpsf8cf47a9.jpg

He is awfully fond of potatoes however, as am I and so today I decided that I would stuff some baked potatoes with some broccoli and cheese.   That way he might not even notice . . . um . . . do ya think?

  photo SAM_6792_zps35cb1557.jpg

No chance!  Of course he noticed!  How could you not.  Just look at how pretty they were!  He didn't seem to mind however as he had two helpings of them and didn't blink an eye at the broccoli stogged into all of that fluffy potato deliciousness.

 photo SAM_6797_zps5f65491f.jpg

They were actually really REALLY tasty.  When my kids were growing up they loved it when I made them broccoli with cheese sauce, so this combination seemed quite natural to me.

 photo SAM_6799_zpsf7be78d3.jpg

I used fresh broccoli, which I cooked crispy tender and then drained really well so as not to make the potato mushy in any way . . .  and then I added lots of strong cheddar to the mash along with a healthy amount of salt and pepper.   You could of course add some grated onion, but I never thought to do it at the time.  It would be quite good though.  You could also use a stilton instead of a cheddar and it would be gorgeous!

  photo SAM_6800_zps50d72265.jpg

I did a final sprinkling of cheddar on top prior to baking so that it could get all gooey and melty.   They went down a real treat actually.   I noticed that one of the leftover ones disappeared during the night, which is always a good sign!  I think I have two legged mice!

 photo SAM_6796_zpsd3e20530.jpg

*Cheese and Broccoli Stuffed Potatoes*
Makes 4 stuffed potatoes

Lots of tender crisp broccoli and gooey cheese, all stuffed into a delicious baked Potato.  Scrumptious! 

2 large baking potatoes
1 small broccoli crown
125ml of milk (1/2 cup), heated until warm with a knob of butter added
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
310g of strong cheddar cheese,divided (1 1/4 cups)

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Prick your potatoes with a fork and place them into the heated oven, directly onto the oven racks.  Bake for about 1 1/2 hours until tender.  Remove from the oven and set aside to cool until you can handle them. 

Bring a pot of lightly salted water to the boil.  Separate the broccoli into florets and  cook it in the boiling water until tender crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes.  Drain well and chop. 

Cut the baked potatoes in half lengthwise.  Scoop out any pulp, leaving about 1/4 inch thick shell.   Mash the insides together with the milk/butter mixture and some seasoning to taste.  Stir in 250g of the cheddar cheese (1 cup) and the chopped broccoli.  Stuff this mixture into the baked potato halves.   Place them on an un-greased baking sheet.  Scatter the remaining cheese over top.


Bake in a 180*C/350*F gas mark 4 oven for 20 minutes until heated through and the cheese on top has melted and is bubbling.   Serve hot.

10 comments

  1. Well thats lunch sorted! Had planned on jacket potatoes anyway today but just with cheese and salad, this recipe looks much more yummy!
    Julie xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, I think you are going to love them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look soooooo good, I love jacket potatoes, I love broccoli and I love cheese so defo a winner for me! Looking forward to trying it asap. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoy them Twilight chef! WE really enjoyed them! You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure they are fantastic!
    ..you're so good:) they aren't made in one minute!Lucky T!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe you have just made my dinner decision for me! These are one of my favorites, and I've not made them in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could eat one of these everyday for lunch or dinner. I love them.
    Tonight I made a pork tenderloin with a new recipe. WAY too much work, mess and not the best tasting. Threw out the recipe. Also, I made roasted parsley, buttered potatoes and corn OFF the cob. ;-) I should have made these lovely Cheese and Broccoli Stuffed Jacket Potatoes. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Monique, and Todd appreciates, which always counts for a lot!

    Nellie, I hope that you enjoyed your lunch!

    Valerie, after all those years of working in a kitchen for a living I try to avoide work and mess if I can! haha Simple and delicious works best for me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Add some garlic and bacon bits for even more deliciousness

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!