A tasty Vegetarian Spaghetti Carbonara

Tuesday 25 March 2014


Quorn

I'd like to talk to you a bit about Quorn, which is a meat substitute used by Vegetarians all over the UK and comes in many varieties, from sandwich type of filler slices to  chicken type filets and mince.  What's great about it is that it's very low in fat and quite healthy for you, which is appealing not only to vegetarians, but also to people who are trying to shed some of those access pounds!

Quorn products are made from Mycoprotein. Mycoprotein is a nutritionally healthy protein source that is meat free and naturally low in saturated fat and high in fibre. Quorn products have the taste, appearance and texture of meat, perfect for if you want meat free meals or are thinking of creating healthier versions of your favourite everyday meals.

This is perfectly highlighted in the following recipe for Spaghetti Carbonara!  Now you can indulge in one of your favourite meals and be relatively guilt free!




*Vegetarian Spaghetti Carbonara*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

If you’re not sure how to make Carbonara, try our low in saturated fat Spaghetti Carbonara recipe. The ultimate guilt-free Italian, coming in at only 359 calories and only 2.5g of saturated fat.  Winner/winner!


150g pack Quorn Meat Free bacon slices, chopped (about 5 ounces)
175g Quorn mince ( 7 ounces)
350g dried spaghetti (a scant pound)
1 tablespoon olive oil (Quorn just needs to be added to the sauce,
so the recipe requires about 50% less oil than you would usually use)
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
3 free range eggs, whisked
1 TBS grated Parmesan or vegetarian Italian style hard cheese
handful chopped fresh parsley
seasoning to taste

Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the spaghetti, cook as per back of pack instructions.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a pan over a moderate heat. Add the shallot, garlic and the Quorn mince, saute gently for 3 minutes. Stir in the ham or bacon and cook for 2 minutes. Season to taste.

Whisk the eggs in a large serving bowl with the grated Italian style hard cheese. Drain the spaghetti reserving 2 large spoonfuls of cooking water.

Add the cooked spaghetti to the whisked eggs in the serving bowl with the ham and mince mixture and the reserved cooking liquid. Keep stirring until all the ingredients are well combined.

Divide the pasta between 4 bowls and serve garnished with fresh parsley and some freshly ground black pepper. Really delicious!

Quorn Products are found in the chiller and freezer sections of most Grocery Stores here in the UK.


8 comments

  1. I have never eaten this, I'm not sure if we have this in our stores, but it sounds great! Quorn, interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have Quorn products here as well, although you have a much bigger range to choose from in the UK than we have (no surprises there).

    I like the quorn mince and use it to make a vegetarian chilli beans and shepherd's pie, but I will try your lovely sounding pasta sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vegan bacon?! I have to look for this stuff here in the States.
    Carbonara is one of my favs.
    Lately, I've been resisting bacon - piggies are just too cute!
    Thanks, Marie. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if you have it there or not either Laurie! I know you do have some very nice veggie stuff.

    It makes a nice change sometimes Marie! And I like that it's low fat.

    Colette, I hope that you can find it there! I love bacon. I have long thought I could easily go completely vegetarian except for bacon and nice steaks. I rather do enjoy a nice steak. And chicken. I like good chicken. lol Oh heck. I'm a carnivore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, you're so funny!
    I'm just like you....would like to go veggie, but bacon's a tough one to give up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow I don't think the veggie bacon would quite cut it in a bacon bap Colette!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen Quorm in Canada although I'm sure there are equivalents. Could you do a post on altitude adjustments? I came from England, with my family, MANY years ago, to Calgary. My mom always had difficulty making adjustments to her recipes for the altitude. She had great difficulty with her bread and baking. I follow a lot of British blogs and they have some fabulous recipes but I now I have to make adjustments for the altitude. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll see what I can find out Janice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!