Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies

Wednesday 10 April 2013

  photo SAM_5934_zpsb7ef426e.jpg

I almost hesitated to share this recipe with you because it is basically a quintessentially North American type of recipe . . . using Butterscotch Chips, which are not readily available over here in the UK.  You can get them from an American grocery supplier called SKYCO, but at a premium price. (£4.78 for an 11 ounce bag, which is the equivalent of $7.31 American.  I don't know if that is good or not, but it seems pretty pricey to me!)

  photo SAM_5935_zpsb77bc4ce.jpg

My good friend April (Dimples And Delights) sent me a care package some time ago filled to the brim with all sorts of baking chips . . . mint chocolate, cinnamon, butterscotch, peanut butter . . . it was so very kind of her to do so.  I put them in the freezer so that I could ration them without them going off and today I decided to use some of the butterscotch ones to make these cookies for the Missionary lads who are coming fur supper today.  A little taste of home perhaps.

 photo SAM_5936_zps2ac127d5.jpg

But don't think you can't make these without butterscotch chips!   You could use white chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips . . . fudge bits . . . a combination of all three, or two, or whatever!  They would be delicious irregardless.  I don't think anyone would refuse one just because there were no butterscotch chips in them!

 photo SAM_5938_zps9c60700e.jpg

They're sweet and buttery . . . with crisp edges and chewy centers . . . stogged full of wholesome oats, sweet chunks of fudgy bits of butterscotch . . . toasted walnuts.  Altogether very pleasing indeed.   I think the lads will enjoy them, and I'm happy for that . . .

 photo SAM_5939_zpsc56d345a.jpg

They're so good, I don't want a lot of them hanging around here for very long!   ME = No Willpower when it comes to cookies . . . especially homemade cookies.   Sigh . . .it's not easy being good . . .

  photo SAM_5933_zps9f8dae58.jpg

*Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies*
Makes about 3 dozen large cookies
Printable Recipe

These are buttery, sweet, and laced with lots of oats, walnuts and butterscotch bits.   If you can't get the butterscotch bits you could use an equivalent amount of fudge bits and white chocolate chips, or a mix of white and milk chocolate bits.   They will be delicious in any case!

225g (1 cup) of unsalted butter at room temperature
200g of dark soft brown sugar (1 cup lightly packed)
191g of granulated sugar (1 cup)
2 extra large free range eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
160g of plain flour (1 1/2 cups)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
250g of old fashioned oats (3 cups)
360g of butterscotch chips (2 cups)
60g of chopped toasted walnuts (1/2 cup)

  photo SAM_5943_zpsd875b4e0.jpg

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.   Line several large baking trays with baking paper.  Set aside.

Cream together the butter and the sugars until light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time.  Beat in the vanilla.  Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.   Slowly beat the flour mixture into the creamed mixture.   Stir in the oats, butterscotch chips and walnuts to combine.

Drop by rounded TBS onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between each.   Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until lightly browned on the edges.  Let cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before scooping off onto wire racks to finish cooling.  Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

7 comments

  1. The butterscotch oatmeal cookies! It looks so yummy. When I make butterscotch oatmeal cookies I often put white chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips and fudge bits.I have never thought to mix these combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some butterscotch or it could be caramel chips that I bought here last year. This could be great way to use them up. For now it ANZAC biscuit time. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love scotchies!! I usually put in a bit of cinnamon and some freshly grated orange peel . . . really sparks them up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MARIE!!!!!!


    Now you know what I will be doing don't you!!!!!
    This is the next cookie on my list, I'm working on finding our fav oatmeal cookie, your recipes are always the best, I will hold you responsible for the larger slacks i will be buying after though, lol, just kidding, you know I love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh!they look so yummy,so temping I much have some.oxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great, Marie! I'll pack some morsels in my suitcase for Holland along with my chocolate chips. I'm looking for gluten free recipes, now. xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cookies look delicious. Here in Calgary, Alberta that size package of butterscotch chips is usually around $3.50, but can be cheaper in special.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!